Suggestions and Complaints
We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice. However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for complaint. If this is the case, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible.
Most issues can be resolved without you having to make a formal complaint. Try having an informal chat with your doctor or a member of staff first. A formal complaint takes time and minor issues are resolved quicker if you speak to a staff member on sight.
In the first instance please discuss your complaint with the staff member concerned. If this does not resolve the situation, please ask to speak with the reception team leader who will investigate your concerns and offer you further advice on the complaints procedure.
If your problem cannot be resolved at this stage and you wish to make a formal complaint, please let us know as soon as possible and address your complaint to the practice manager who will deal with your concerns appropriately.
We welcome your feedback, be it: a compliment, suggestions, or concern about the service you have received from the doctors or any of the staff working in this practice.
We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of a NHS system for dealing with complaints.
As a patient of the NHS you have a right to:
- Have your complaint dealt with efficiently
- Have your complaint properly investigated
- Be informed of the outcome of your complaint
- Take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with the outcome
How To Complain (Local Resolution)
We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned.
If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible using our online form
- We aim to acknowledge your complaint within three working days and offer to make arrangements to discuss your concerns.
- We will then investigate your complaint within the practice.
- We will keep you informed of the progress of our investigation
- We will send you a response explaining the outcome of our investigation and any actions to be taken as a result
- We will aim to have looked into your complaint within 15 working days of the date when you raised it with us. When we look into your complaint, we shall aim to:
- Find out what happened and what went wrong;
- Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this;
- Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate;
- Identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again.
Complaining On Behalf Of Someone Else
Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have their permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.
Help and Advice
You may also receive advice from:
Call: 0300 012 0122 (local rates) between the hours of 9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday
Email: email@example.com. Making a complaint: Find out about the Healthwatch complaints process or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not happy with the response from Fitzalan medical Group you can contact the following organisations to escalate:
West Sussex CCG
Complaints about all other commissioned services (Continuing Healthcare, Individual Funding Requests, Medicines Management and other commissioned NHS services) may be handled by your local Clinical Commissioning Group.
We have a Sussex-wide complaints team who will be happy to discuss your complaint with you, if you are not sure who to contact. If you have any questions about this process, or would like further information, please contact:
Email: email@example.com or call 01903 707473.
You can also contact us by post using the address below:
NHS West Sussex Clinical Commissioning Group,
Worthing BN11 1DJ
Please could you ensure you have included your:
- Date of Birth
- GP Practice
We would also request that you confirm that you are happy for us to forward your concern to the service that you are complaining about (if appropriate).
Complaints about primary care services (e.g. GPs, dentists, pharmacists, and opticians) are managed by NHS England. Their contact details are:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 311 2233
- Post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch B97 9PT
If you are not happy with our response (local resolution) you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman for an ‘independent review’. Their details are as follows:
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Tel. Complaints Helpline 0345 015 4033 Monday-Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 12pm. Or, you can visit the Ombudsman website
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.